At my son’s soccer club, we recently had coaching changes with some of the younger teams. Players soon followed their coach to another club. But, was this the right move?
In my opinion, I think parents and players need to take a step back first to evaluate their situation.
Before you jump ship, ask yourself the following questions…
- Is the soccer club that the current coach is going to have a good reputation?
- Has the coach officially accepted the offer?
- Will the coach be coaching the same age group?
- Are they in the same league or one better?
- How far is the new club?
- What’s the background of the new coaching coming in?
If a player has a strong bond with a coach and they’ve had a major influence on their development then it may be the right move to continue playing under their guidance.
If the above is not the case, it’s probably an easier decision.
What I Would Do
Just offering my opinion here. If my son’s coach left after the season, I think we would continue playing for our current club. At the MLS NEXT level, I would be confident that our club would bring in another quality coach.
My other reasons would be:
- He is friends with his current teammates
- The club is already familiar with him (and doesn’t need to prove himself)
- It’s a 20-minute drive to practice and home games
At the end of the day, it’s a family decision. An important decision that impacts a player and their family for many years.