How Do I Shoot a Soccer Ball Straight?
Are you trying to shoot a direct soccer shot but it keeps curving in? You’re not alone! This is a common thing among youth soccer players.
One of the most common reasons why the ball continually curves is that you aren’t striking the ball at the center. Also, you are probably leaning too far back or even sideways. This leads to your leg not hitting the ball directly in its sweet spot.
Key Takeaways From This Article:
- Your body, kick, and follow-through should be straight on target.
- Shooting straight gives the best chance to get to your goal or teammate.
- Keep practicing your form.
How to Shoot Straight in Soccer
When taking a shot, keep these things in mind:
- Hit the ball with either the laces or the top of your big toe.
- Ensure that your ankle is locked when shooting.
- Your shoulders should aligned with the target.
- Your body should be slightly over the ball.
- Follow through straight with your foot in the direction you want the ball to go.
Simply focusing on where you strike the ball and making sure you are directly aligned with the target will get you started.
The other item I wanted to address is the cliche word, ‘confidence’. You need to have the internal confidence that you will be able to shoot straight. Use this confidence to practice shooting every day.
For visual learners, check out this video with a simple demo of shooting a soccer ball straight.
What’s the Point of Shooting Straight?
Shooting straight gives the ball a better chance of hitting the intended target such as an area of the goal or a teammate. To go directly from Point A to Point B is your best chance of an effective shot or pass.
Another reason is that a straight shot is harder for the opposing team to defend against. If the ball is curving or swerving, it can be easier for the defense to anticipate and block the shot. A straight shot typically is faster and more difficult to react to.
As a player, having the ability to shoot directly or with a curve will be valuable as you get older!