How Big is a Soccer Goal?
Last updated on July 15th, 2023 at 11:18 am
How big is a soccer goal? An official soccer goal is typically 24 feet (7.32 meters) wide by 8 feet (2.44 meters) tall.
With that said, the size of a soccer goal will depend mainly on the age group and the type of soccer being played.
For example, the soccer goals for kids that are playing U8 are much smaller than the goals used by U15 players. See the chart below.
In this article, I’ll teach you the various dimensions of soccer goals and some interesting facts about them.
What is the Size of a Regulation Soccer Goal?
According to the official soccer rules, a soccer goal needs to be 24 ft. (wide) x 8 ft. (tall).
The height is the distance between the surface of the pitch and the bottom edge of the crossbar.
Meanwhile, the width is the distance between the inside edges of both goalposts.
Essentially, the dimensions mentioned are the sizes of the opening of the soccer goal. The posts themselves are typically 4” to 5” in diameter, which makes the goalposts quite rigid and solid so that even a strong gust of wind will not blow the goal away.
Size of a High School Soccer Goal
Even though high school soccer players can be much younger than most professionals, they use the same size goal as the college and professional ranks.
Full-sized regulation soccer nets typically start at U13. It can be challenging for goalkeepers at this age since many of them are starting their growth spurt. It leaves a lot of room for offensive players to find the back of the net.
The National Federation of High School Associations deemed that high school soccer players should use regulation-size goals so that they can be prepared for the transition to playing in college-level and professional-level matches. This logic obviously makes complete sense.
Size of a Youth Soccer Goal
The soccer goal begins to change in size once you get to the youth league. Because the players are significantly smaller in size, the goal needs to be reduced to reflect that.
The minimum recommended size for a youth league is 4’ tall and 3’ wide while the maximum is 8’ tall by 24’ wide.
Youth Soccer Goal Sizes by Age
The size is usually dependent on the age of the players participating, as shown below:
|AGE RANGE||RECOMMENDED GOAL SIZE (H x W)|
|U6 (and younger)||4′ x 3′|
|U6-U8||4′ x 6′|
|U9-U10||6’6″ x 18’6″|
|U11-U12||7′ x 21′|
|U13+||8′ x 24′|
These are the maximum recommended goal sizes by the US Youth Soccer and the American Youth Soccer Organization. However, these organizations do allow for size variations if necessary and if it does not interfere with the quality of the game.
How Big Are Different Soccer Goals?
As I mentioned, soccer goals vary in size depending on age and what the purpose is. Here are some common sizes…
- Middle School Soccer: 8’x24′
- High School Soccer: 8’x24′
- College Soccer: 8’x24′
- Professional Soccer: 8’x24′
- Indoor Soccer: 8’x14′
- Futsal: 6’7″x9’10”
Facts About Soccer Goals
Even though the most important factor that you need to be aware of pertaining to soccer goals is the size, there are other things that you have to be aware of, including the following:
- Although it would be entertaining to see goalposts with the same colors as the home team, there are specific rules set regarding this.
- The official soccer rules state that the entire soccer goal must only be white. There are no other colors permitted, even when used as accents.
- There are also official rules stating the maximum allowable size of tubing used for the goalposts and crossbar. According to the rules, the goal must not have a diameter of more than 5 inches at any point, even at the joints. In addition, both goals used in the match should be identical to each other.
- The goal must be at the center of the opposite goal lines and should each consist of two posts that are of equal distance from the flag posts at the corners of the pitch. The posts are then connected by a crossbar at the top. However, even if the posts need to be of equal distance from the corner flags, there are no set distance requirements, which means you can use different goal sizes depending on the age of the players.
- The first soccer goals used in organized matches were not nets, but instead were made of tape or string that was tied between two posts. We’ve come a long way!
- The standard soccer net is made of nylon or polypropylene cord, which is woven to create a mesh pattern. The net is typically attached to the goal frame using clips or hooks.
Now that you know all that there is to know about soccer goals, you can now step onto the field with confidence.
Are you looking to purchase a soccer goal for the backyard? There are fantastic options for soccer goals for the backyard.
Frequently Asked Questions
Official soccer goals are usually made with aluminum or steel. Socketed steel designs are popular with most youth organizations as they are more affordable.
I’ve compiled a list of the best soccer goals for the backyard!